Coaches in Fordsburg

Photos of Southern African Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Moving Items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Derek Walker

Coaches in Fordsburg

Post by Derek Walker »

I have always known about the coach at Fordsburg Square but could never really get down to photographing it in any detail. Last time I had seen it the coach had been branded as a Mikes Kitchen and I only have the one pic of it.
Mikes Kitchen Fordsburg
Mikes Kitchen Fordsburg
mikesfordsburg.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
I revisited the area on Heritage Day and took more pics, the restaurant is no longer a Mikes Kitchen but is now a called Papas Kitchen and its really impressive inside. There are actually 2 coaches involved bridged by a structure which forms the kitchen and an upper seating area, there is also a semaphore as well as its levers. Sadly though vandalism is a major problem, as is graffiti. I could not get really close to the inside coach as there is a flea market there, but will go back next week for more pics. The coaches were originally 3rd class sitters, and still have some of their original railway plumbing fittings. The outside coach was built in 1972 at UC&W.
The outside coach
The outside coach
fordsburg1.jpg (116.26 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
fordsburg2.jpg
fordsburg2.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
fordsburg3.jpg
fordsburg3.jpg (159.13 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
fordsburg5.jpg
fordsburg5.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Dylan Knott

Re: Coaches in Fordsburg

Post by Dylan Knott »

Nice pics.
Please ask them for the coach numbers and history? Also that of signals and frame? The frame looks like part of a larger one but good to see nonetheless.
Derek Walker

Re: Coaches in Fordsburg

Post by Derek Walker »

I did look for coach numbers but couldnt find any on the one coach, and couldnt really get to the other coach but the owner said he will gather up the history for me and let me have what he can, I suggested he adds it into the restaurant too as he already has train pics on the walls. I am going back next week so will try get more pics and info, it was kinda mad there on the day that I was there though. The coaches were moved from langlaagte station to here.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops

Return to “South Africa - Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Vehicles”