Steam crane in situ at the museum

Photos of Kenyan Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Moving Items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Steam crane in situ at the museum

Post by John Ashworth »

Today the steam crane was moved inside the museum compound, after standing outside last night (see http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 320&t=9231). I think we can take a moment to pat ourselves on the back for rescuing this magnificent beast from the scrap merchants!
Attachments
Standing behind the museum's two diesel shunters
Standing behind the museum's two diesel shunters
museum_DSC00603.JPG (137.48 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Standing next to a signal, with the small steam crane (which was already in the museum) on the front
Standing next to a signal, with the small steam crane (which was already in the museum) on the front
museum_DSC00604.JPG (123.67 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Standing next to 5930
Standing next to 5930
museum_DSC00605.JPG (129.74 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
The jib of the small crane fouled the bonnet of the shunt diesel, so they had to go off and find a flat wagon to use as a barrier vehicle
The jib of the small crane fouled the bonnet of the shunt diesel, so they had to go off and find a flat wagon to use as a barrier vehicle
museum_DSC00606.JPG (128.93 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
To make room for the new arrival, two coaches were moved to the platform at the back of the museum building
To make room for the new arrival, two coaches were moved to the platform at the back of the museum building
museum_DSC00608.JPG (102.15 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Restaurant car
Restaurant car
museum_DSC00609.JPG (80.61 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
First class sleeper
First class sleeper
museum_DSC00610.JPG (62.35 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Viewed from outside the compound, the crane is now safely inside the gates. We had been worried about it standing outside for too long with so much intact brasswork still on it.
Viewed from outside the compound, the crane is now safely inside the gates. We had been worried about it standing outside for too long with so much intact brasswork still on it.
museum_DSC00611.JPG (146.89 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
I don't know whether this is the loco which did the shunt this morning, but it was idling outside the museum compound when I was taking photos this afternoon, so I couldn't resist snapping it
I don't know whether this is the loco which did the shunt this morning, but it was idling outside the museum compound when I was taking photos this afternoon, so I couldn't resist snapping it
museum_DSC00612.JPG (122.82 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
museum_DSC00613.JPG (128.13 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
And finally, a picture for South African viewers, who will recognise the ubiquitous Nissan bakkie. I wanted to drive mine from Pretoria to Nairobi when I relocated, but unfortunately Kenya only allows the import of vehicles up to 8 years old and mine was 20-something.
And finally, a picture for South African viewers, who will recognise the ubiquitous Nissan bakkie. I wanted to drive mine from Pretoria to Nairobi when I relocated, but unfortunately Kenya only allows the import of vehicles up to 8 years old and mine was 20-something.
museum_DSC00614.JPG (117.75 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Dylan Knott

Re: Steam crane in situ at the museum

Post by Dylan Knott »

Who maintains the locos at the museum?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Steam crane in situ at the museum

Post by John Ashworth »

"Maintains" might not be quite the right word. The steam locos have been cosmetically restored but it's a long time since most of them have had a repaint. The two diesels have not been touched yet since they arrived in the museum, but Friends of the Railways Museum, a volunteer group, is planning to try to raise money to restore one of them. Kenya Railways provides some money to the museum, but currently most of that is going into opening the new section of the museum building.

The three operational steam locos belong to the museum but are kept at the workshop, not the museum. When they are hired for a train, the cost of bringing in the old fitters to do running repairs is included in the cost of the hire. Volunteers such as Kevin and myself help them.

Return to “Kenya - Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Vehicles - Photo Gallery”