2650: cleaning her up

Members can post FOTR related pictures of 19D 2650 here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep
John Ashworth
Site Admin

2650: cleaning her up

Post by John Ashworth »

Nathan wrote:I thought a topic with a difference. I have shown the sequence of cleaning and restoring the 2650 brass plates. I have tried to put them in order so it will start with the name plate first and finish with the cabs sides if I got my number sequences correct.
Photos and captions by Nathan Berelowitz
Attachments
The nameplate, pronounced "CHENAY", has all the old paint cleaned off.
The nameplate, pronounced "CHENAY", has all the old paint cleaned off.
2650 cleaning her up! 044.jpg (77.03 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
CHEUGNETTE nameplate is now cleaned of all the old paint and now will be wiped clean with thinners. Then a release agent will be painted onto the lettering that must remain as visible brass, whilst the rest will get the paint on it that will form the background.
CHEUGNETTE nameplate is now cleaned of all the old paint and now will be wiped clean with thinners. Then a release agent will be painted onto the lettering that must remain as visible brass, whilst the rest will get the paint on it that will form the background.
2650 cleaning her up! 045.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
I now use a dishwashing liquid or one can use soap, as a release agent. I apply it with an artist brush.
I now use a dishwashing liquid or one can use soap, as a release agent. I apply it with an artist brush.
2650 cleaning her up! 047.jpg (147.69 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Here we can see the dishwash liquid painted letters and those that still need the liquid to go on as release agent.
Here we can see the dishwash liquid painted letters and those that still need the liquid to go on as release agent.
2650 cleaning her up! 046.jpg (143.06 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
CHEUGNETTE is now completely sprayed with paint from a spray can. Electric Blue, in this case. When the paint is properly dried, it will be carefully removed from the lettering.
CHEUGNETTE is now completely sprayed with paint from a spray can. Electric Blue, in this case. When the paint is properly dried, it will be carefully removed from the lettering.
2650 cleaning her up! 049.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
With water on it, I find it easier to scratch the lettered paint off by using my fingernail. The water will wash the dishwash liquid away and it actually leaves the brass shinier than using soap.
With water on it, I find it easier to scratch the lettered paint off by using my fingernail. The water will wash the dishwash liquid away and it actually leaves the brass shinier than using soap.
2650 cleaning her up! 051.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
The nameplate is now completed and will dry and soon will be mounted on the headlight bracket of the 19D.
The nameplate is now completed and will dry and soon will be mounted on the headlight bracket of the 19D.
2650 cleaning her up! 053.jpg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Here we repeat the process with the cabside plates. Clean, release agent and spray.
Here we repeat the process with the cabside plates. Clean, release agent and spray.
2650 cleaning her up! 001.jpg (113.4 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
The brass lettering now appears after slowly being removed with my finger nail and water!!
The brass lettering now appears after slowly being removed with my finger nail and water!!
2650 cleaning her up! 002.jpg (52.11 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Getting closer now and looking good.
Getting closer now and looking good.
2650 cleaning her up! 003.jpg (145.59 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Before and after. One cabside complete and one to go. Lots of hard but rewarding work, but to keep them clean!!
Before and after. One cabside complete and one to go. Lots of hard but rewarding work, but to keep them clean!!
2650 cleaning her up! 005.jpg (91.62 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: 2650: cleaning her up

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Nathan, you are so multitalented that you astound me! Nice paint job!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: 2650: cleaning her up

Post by John Ashworth »

But I suppose you had to go for a manicure afterwards to fix your finger nails?!

Return to “FOTR - Steam Engine 19D 2650”