Death of a station?

For discussions on stations, signals, and infrastructure in Southern Africa. Any photos should be posted in the "South Africa - Photo Gallery" Forum below.
hansieswart

Death of a station?

Post by hansieswart »

Today (18 July 2012) on my way from home from Swellendam, I drove past our local Buffeljagsrivier Station (situated 10km East of Swellendam on the Worcester - Voorbaai line). I noticed several trucks, diggers, front-end loaders, etc. and a caravan and "campsite" being erected next to the staion buildings. A digger was busy knocking down the concrete pillars that used to support the rectangular steel water tanks for the steam loco's.
I drove home, fetched my camera end returned to take some photo's. My enquiry (admittedly from one of the workers there and therefore perhaps not 100 % accurate), wrevealed that they were preparing to demolish the whole station complex. I don't know what to make of this and also not who to contact, but it would be sad to lose a (mostly) intact little rural station. It is neglected, but not nearly beyond renovation. I have tried to upload some pics the best I can to give an idea of what things look like, but I am not computer literate enough to get it right. Apparently the extension "jpeg" is unacceptable. If somebody could assist, or I could e-mail the pictures for upload, it would be nice to show the forum what I suspect is the last view of Buffeljagsrivier Station. If you would like to take a look from above, the coordinates on Google Earth are: 34*02'40,7" S and 20*32'22,7" E

Hope I'm wrong, but these machines mean business.

Pic at: http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 146&t=9765
hansieswart

Re: Death of a station?

Post by hansieswart »

I only noticed afterwards that this section does not accept photographs. I have managed, in the meantime, to upload them in the section "South Africa - Photo gallery".

Sorry for the confusion.

hansie
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: Death of a station?

Post by Steve Appleton »

Correct, Hansie. The restriction on pictures is so that the download of posts in this forum are speeded up by noit having to dowload included pics. You can upload pics to the picture gallery section and then link the pictures to your post by copying the picture post's URL and pasting it between a URL tag. The tag is inserted by clicking the URL button above the post and pasting between the two tags displayed.
I will do that for you.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals and Infrastructure”